Winters in the North can be downright brutal. Now that the colder months are here, it’s only a matter of time before we are under a foot of snow. Those of us with the urge to garden have to retreat indoors and wait for months until spring arrives again. The only thing that can bring us any reminder of our gardening is the canned and pickled vegetables in the basement. You may not have your garden, but there are ways to grow vegetables in the winter. Take a look at these winter gardening ideas.
Vegetables To Grow in the Winter in Kansas City
We usually harvest our garden in the fall but some vegetables are very cold tolerant and can stay productive in the winter. If you are looking to expand your garden this season, here’s a list of crops that grow in the winter in Kansas City:
- Brussels Sprouts
Grow Herbs Indoors
Indoor herb gardens are on the rise among homeowners who want fresh herbs on hand. As we spend more time indoors in the winter, we tend to cook more home-cooked meals. Imagine cooking pasta and just reaching over and grabbing a few sprigs of basil off your window planter.
How To Grow Herbs Indoors
Herbs are very easy to grow. As long as you have plenty of sunlight and keep the temperature comfortable, any garden vegetable should thrive.
Easy Herbs To Grow Indoors
There are many herbs to choose from when deciding what herbs you should grow in your home this winter. Easy herbs to grow indoors include:
- Rosemary - Rosemary is known for its strong and wonderful aroma. It likes dry roots and prefers to absorb moisture from the air through its foliage. Use a spray bottle with water and mist the foliage once or twice a week.
- Bay Leaf- Bay leaves are used in many Mediterranean dishes. Recipes may call for a whole bay leaf or two to flavor savory dishes like soups, stews, and casseroles.
- Sage - Sage is an ingredient used in a lot of food around the holidays which is how most people associate its strong aroma. Sage can last a long time and like wine, it gets better with age.
- Basil - Basil is one of the most popular herbs and a staple of any herb planter. It can liven up any dish but it is most famously used in pasta and other Italian dishes.
- Mint - Mint is another versatile herb that you should always have on hand. Mint can add flavor to salads, teas, drinks, and deserts.
Cold Frame Gardening in Kansas City
Cold frame gardening is a trend that is catching on among gardeners in recent years. Essentially, a cold frame garden is a tiny greenhouse. You can plant your vegetables on the ground inside the box or just set pots inside. Either way, your plants will be protected from the harsh winter cold because of science!
How To Build a Cold Frame
There are many ways to build a cold frame garden but the basics are the same. It’s a wooden box built on or partially into the ground with a hinged, transparent lid. The lid allows sunlight to enter and through the process of convection, keeps the inside of the box warm.
At Quality All-Care, we have years of experience dealing with Kansas City lawns. With our lawn care services, we can repair and improve your yard to levels you never thought possible. We also offer comprehensive tree and shrub services and pest control solutions. Call us today at 913-894-9250 to learn more!